Areas of activities
The Institute of Russian Language and Culture is the largest and oldest organisation in Russia for teaching Russian as a foreign language, as well as for pre-university training for foreign students. Every year more than 1,200 people learn at the Institute.
The main activities of the Institute of Russian Language and Culture are:
• preparing foreign entrants for study at MSU and other higher educational institutions in Russia as part of a programme of the preparatory faculty, including the teaching of Russian as a foreign language and preparing general subjects;
• training Russian language and humanities students from foreign universities who come to Russia on a language placement;
• preparing for testing and testing of Russian as a foreign language for foreigners, economic migrants and Russian citizenship applicants;
• developing and conducting advanced training courses;
• developing and implementing educational programmes, courses, textbooks and manuals on Russian as a foreign language and Russian as a second language;
• developing and implementing training systems for all foreigners, regardless of profession or age, wishing to learn Russian in Russia or abroad;
• developing and implementing testing systems and standards for the evaluation of proficiency levels of Russian as a foreign language and Russian as a second language, preparing test materials for foreigners, economic migrants and Russian citizenship applicants;
• organising seminars and conferences relating to the problems of preservation, dissemination and teaching of Russian abroad and in national schools in Russia; participating in public and grant programmes.
In the 60 years of its existence (as the MSU Preparatory Faculty for Foreign Citizens, the MSU Centre for International Education and the MSU Institute of Russian Language and Culture), the IRLC has accumulated extensive experience and acquired a strong reputation in the international education market. The Institute of Russian Language and Culture’s partners are the University of Pittsburgh (USA), the University of San Diego (USA), Bowling Green State University (USA), the University of Central Florida (USA), the College of William and Mary (USA), the University of Leeds (UK), the University of Bari Aldo Moro (Italy), TOBB University of Economics and Technology (Turkey), Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (Japan), Sapporo University (Japan), Kobe City University of Foreign Studies (Japan), Osaka University (Japan), Incheon National University (South Korea), Keimyung University (South Korea), Kyung Hee University (College of Foreign Languages & Literature) (South Korea), Tamkang University (Taiwan), Shaanxi Normal University (China), Sichuan International Studies University (China). Students from Eton College (UK) and the University of Bergamo (Italy) and the University of Naples Federico II (Italy) regularly come to study with us. Employees of the embassies of France, the United Kingdom, Libya, the United Arab Emirates, Angola, India and other countries are trained at the Centre on a regular basis.